Monday, August 30, 2010

The Beginning: Missionary Training Center Provo, Utah

First Letter
August 25,2010

I love the MTC! Before coming here I was terrified about what my experience here would be like. I didn't know the schedule or what it would be like so I was having a lot of anxiety. Would I be able to adjust? Will I be able to learn the laguage or the lessons? After my first day I know that I can! I won't be fluent, or be the perfect teacher, but I will do better than I previously thought...I hope. I promised myself I wouldn't be that missionry who geeks out about the MTC, but oh well-- I love it and I don't care who knows!
So here's the rundown of the day--I'll try to be as specific as possible, per dad's request. I was the first one at the gate waiting to board. and slowly more and more missionaries joined me. I guess a young guy in a suit just screams missionary. There ended up being about 10 Elders and at least one Sister (pretty positive there were two though) Isn't that insane?I didnt know any of them though, except Elder Phelps-Bill Ferrin's nephew. They must have thought I was a loser in high school becaue I didnt know anyone they knew at Highland. But when I told them I graduated in "07 they understood. Hahaha.
The plane ride was a good, uneventful trip. At the airport it was easy enough to find the shuttle to the MTC. We had an interesting shuttle driver who has driven probably thousands of missionaries. He was from South Africa or something.
When we arrived at the MTC we were guided by a host missionary through different stages: getting our name tag, (mine is in Slovak! Ah!) keys,picture taken and our language books. Then we met with the teacher and got a run down on what the next few days would be like. The host that took me through was an Elder going to Russia. They try to learn 20 new vocab words a day. Oh boy... ("I can do this, I can do this" is all I was thinking.) I was dropped off in the Slovak classroom and met my companion and the other Slovak Elder. We three Elders are the first goup of Slovak missionaries since April so our teachers are anxious to teach us. Then all of the new missionaries met with the MTC presidency and their wives (who double as the Relief Society Presidency for the Sisters) There are probably 400 new missionaries from all over the world. And a large group from Japan. After that meeting we met our district. My companion is Elder Bacon. He is from Provo and is very excited about being a missionary. He strives to be where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there. So he's a good person to be paired up with. Then there is Elder Nichol from Portland, OR. The three of us are the "Slovak Elders" He is in a tri-companionship with Elder Freeman, who is going to Croatia, and Elder Meiling who is going to Czech. He was supposed to be gone already but has some visa ad health issues. I was told not to worry as it is very easy to get approved for a Slovak visa. (After you jump through the U.S. government hoops) Finally, we have two sisters, Sister Anderson and Sister Bartholomew. Sis. Anderson is from Fruit Heights, UT and Sister Bartholomew is from San Diego.
Today has been a blur, so I am ready for some shut eye. I'll write you all again soon!
P.S. I forgot my Endure to the End ring. I left it on the bathroom sink the morning I left. Plz send it. thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment