Tuesday, August 31, 2010

One week in...

Hello all!!
I've almost completed my first week here at the MTC and it is fantastic! I love my district more everyday and we are getting along just fine. We do literally everything together. I am the oldest in the group, much to the surprise of the sisters, and we all bring something to the table. I wish I shared their natural enthusiasm about being a missionary. (I'll mail some pictures in a couple days so you can get faces to the names-- we can't transfer pictures from our cameras to the computers. They're built like Fort Knox.) Elder Bacon in my companion and he is the District leader. Then Elder Freeman, who is going to Croatia, and Elder Nichol are the Zone leaders. Elder Meiling is companions with them until he leaves. He really appreciates the thoughts and prayers. He checks on his visa and health status everyday-- still no word. :(

Slovak is HARD! I've spent the past week struggling in my class. I feel like I'm picking up the language slower than everyone else in the entire MTC. My district can already pray and stumble through a testimony in Slovak but nothing seems to stick with me. And what up with verb conjugation??? I'm trying to remember that I am being sent to Slovakia for a reason and that I can learn Slovak.

Some things about the MTC:
-It is FREEZING in Provo. Every time I wake up I feel like I'm frozen solid. I'm sleeping with socks, long sweats and a sweatshirt. I doubt its even in the 50s. Best part is that my teachers have told me that Slovakia is colder than I thought....
-I am so hungry here! They give about 30 minutes for meals. And that's to get your food, eat and clean up. But the food is so good and there is so much of it-if only I had more time. So I might be losing weight rather than gaining it. So much for getting looser pants...
-We are in class ALL day long. I'm probably taking notes 10 to 12 hours a day. I've almost filled an entire notebook! I wish I could say that we just do language but we spend the majority of our time studying Gospel principles or Preach My Gospel or having personal/companionship study. Its frustrating because I feel those are my strong points and I really just want to get immersed in the language. But you can't teach something you don't know or understand, right??

The MTC is such an inspiring place to be. The prayers of literally thousands of our loved ones are felt and lift us up for sure. It's amazing to be around thousands of peers who have the same intentions and goals.

I'm glad Logan is enjoying my clothes but I have a few requests of some things I forgot: My blue striped shorts. They're the Van Huesen brand, a couple extra hangers (4 would be perfect) and throw in a couple extra t-shirts. And a blanket! (remember how cold I am!) I know I'm forgetting something else.... but I'll let you know.

**A note to blog readers and other emailers: I appreciate all of the emails I've received, but I only have 30 minutes to check my mail once a week and can only email family ( I only have 5 minutes left!) So please write me a letter or go on dearelder.com and write me there with an address so I can write you throughout the week!**

Hope all is well and everyone is doing great! How has school been? etc.

Adam

(with a minute to spare!)

ps get me the rest of the family's email! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm allowed on the family email list but I hope so!

    amynwilliams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete