Monday, February 7, 2011

An American Week in Trencin!

Hello all!

Had a busy week. Feels like it was two weeks. But I survived.

Today is the start of "American Week" at Lidl, one of the grocery stores here. So of course all of the missionaries in the country know about it and are going to this week. I learned/remembered a couple things. 1) Just because the picture looks authentic doesn't mean the actual food is. 2) Europeans don't do American very well. I got a bag of frozen onion rings (gross), fry sauce (even grosser), marshmallows (I'm now worried about opening them...), and honey mustard (for the onion wings of course) I was wondering why it tasted so weird, and then I realized that it tasted more like honey and less like mustard. Oh Slovaks. That's not supposed to taste anything like honey! However, the hamburger patties and bbq chips were pretty good, as well as my own redition of hot wings. I had a disgustingly large and very "American" lunch as you can see. :)

This week I had exchanges in Zlina with Elder Walker on Tuesday/Wednesday while Taylor stayed in Trenčín with Elder Evans. Walker and I had a good time and it's always refreshing to work with someone different, learn some new things and spend some time outside of your usual city.

It seems that everyone has been getting sick in Trenčín. So far Taylor and I have given/participated in about 7 blessings. All of them great experiences. The inactive/non-member family really appreciated and really felt the power of the priesthood as a result of the blessings. Things got a little irreverant near the end though. But that's almost to be expected after 5 blessings with a bunch of siblings in the room. My mom knows my siblings and I had a hard enough time not bugging each other. But it was mostly Logan that was the problem anyway. :) jk jk

Mom, don't read this next part. Ok?

An experience on Saturday made me feel like a real missionary. We went out tracting (always) to a part of town that we are trying to finish up. We get to a tall ponnelok and we buzz the first name, he asks who we want to talk to and we tell him that we wanted to talk to him (trying to be cutesy or something). He responds with a, "Me? Ya, sure you can talk to me!" And he buzzed us in. Kinda weird, that never happens. Well, when we get to his door it's wide open and I see him walking towards us. In his hand is a tiny gun, whhhhaaaaaat?!? I decided to just ignore the weapon as he didn't look angry and I'm pretty positive that anything that would've come out of it would just bounce off me. Or it was a water pistol.... Anyways, I tell him who we are and what we're doing here. Then he just waves the little gun in our face and tells us never to come back, then he slowly shut the door. I must have had the gift of tongues, because I understood everything he said. Needless to say we won't be coming back. But we kept going and tracted the rest of the building and it turned out to be a slow evening. But that is the life.

Ok Mom, you can keep reading.

I'll be praying for Michael's safety as well. I wouldn't worry about me falling through any roofs here, everything's made of cement. But rest assured that I am safe in ol' Trenčín. :)

This is going to be quite the busy week. Combined Zone Conference in Brno and the first LDS Slovak wedding in Slovakia! (Well, she's slovak, he's Czech) We just wished they would stay in Trenčín. :(

Hope everything is going good at home and everyone is happy. I'm a little sorry I'll be missing Logan's senior year! How exciting!!

Peace,

Elder Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment